A lease is automatically renewed each year under the same conditions as when it was signed (except when a tenant sends a notice of non-renewal of the lease to his or her landlord to advise him or her that he or she does not wish to keep the dwelling after June 30). However, from one year to the next, regulations may change, and so may the rent. For this reason, a lease renewal notice must be sent to the tenant, with the changes to be expected, between 3 and 6 months before the scheduled end of the lease.
Note: For a rent increase, it is important to indicate the exact increase, i.e., indicate the percentage increase over the current rent or directly note the dollar amount of the increase.
In addition, your lease renewal notice should indicate the changes to the lease, the date, and the signature of the landlord or representative.
A lease renewal notice is not sent via a simple mail or email, there are certain rules to follow:
1. The notice must be in the same language that was used for the lease and must be sent to the tenant's address as notified in the lease;
2. Indicate the amount of time the tenant must accept or reject the lease renewal notice. The tenant has 30 days to respond from the date the notice is acknowledged (after this time, the lease will automatically renew on the new terms);
3. You must have proof of receipt. If you use paper registered mail, you will need to have the hand-delivered receipt OR if you use Pronotif, it will be the proof report that is automatically generated after your notice is sent and where you can follow the status of your notice.
After receiving your notice, your tenant will have several alternatives:
1. Accept the lease renewal with the changes you have added,
2. Reject the proposed changes and renew the lease,
3. Do not renew the lease and leave the apartment at the end of the current lease.
As you can see, renewing a lease is not a step to be neglected. On the contrary!
If you are a member of CORPIQ and wish to continue to send your notices by paper mail, take advantage of the sample letters that have been written by real estate experts.
If you wish to send your lease renewal notice electronically, it is totally possible with the services offered by Pronotif. With our certified email solution, save time and money by going through the process of sending electronic notifications. Please note that our solution is compliant with the Tribunal administratif du Logement.
As a CORPIQ member, save even more money with our exclusive CORPIQ member discounts.
You have not yet sent your renewal notices to your tenants? Start now by logging in or creating an account on Pronotif!
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article